Saturday, February 21, 2009

meg...en

I am starting to think that the point of blogging is to make random crap available for the world to see...partly because one likes writing about themselves. Guilty! If you blog and you don't think you just like writing about yourself, you are in some serious denial. In fact, I'm starting to think that the only reason I read other peoples blogs is so I can gauge how funny I need to make my next blog post. I'm like: "well so-and-so said this in their blog, and that was pretty funny, but I'm going to say THIS in my blog and people are going to think I'm so much funnier". When in reality, other people are doing the same exact thing. No matter how many "clever" things I try to say, whoever reads this is only thinking of ways they can be cleverer (pretty sure cleverer isn't a word...). So anyway, I am going to put something completely random, and I bet you somebody out there reading will see this and think: "Wow that is pretty random, but I can totally think of something even more random and therefore my blog will be the coolest. Ha!" So here you go...beat this!

I've noticed something. Most people call me "Meg". My parents, my sister, my close friends, etc. But when they get annoyed/angry/frustrated with me, I suddenly become "Megen". Also this tends to happen early in the morning when people are generally in a bad mood. It's like I no longer am worthy of my nickname once I've done something to piss people off. I can just tell whether or not someone is in good humor by the way they address me. It's like they think adding the "en" to the end of Meg somehow makes things serious all of a sudden. That's kind of crazy don't you think? But maybe I do the same thing. Do I call me mom "mother" when I'm a little ill with her? I think not. So yeah, it's just other people who are weird like that.

So did you note the sarcasm? Pretty blog-tastic don't you think? Not that any of this matters at all to anyone, but in certain social situations or when something funny happens or when I make a major mental breakthrough (such as the above random fact) I often find myself thinking "hmmm...this would be something really good to blog about later, and then people will read it and wish they were as funny as me". Except for the fact that not that many people read this...reiterating my point that we bloggers do it for our own entertainment. What I didn't realize until recently is that when other people do read my blog they may be thinking its funny, but meanwhile they are conjuring up their own funny stories or witty comments, preparing to strike down any humor mine had with their own. So I think that instead of blogging, it should be called "battling"...battling for the funniest blog, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment