Tuesday, March 30, 2010

this is going to be a rant

A rant of small and insignificant proportions:

Last night I got a flat tire. I managed to make it to the tire service at Walmart, but they were closed so I left my car at Walmart overnight so they could get to it in the morning. My lovely friend Stephanie came and picked me up.

It felt really strange waiting for a ride in front of Walmart...

Well this morning I had to go BACK to Walmart when they opened at 7 a.m. so I could tell them the situation and give them my key so they could begin patching the tire. Kaylan brought me (don't I have sweet friends?). They tell me it will take about an hour to fix, so Kaylan brings me back to the apartment because I have to meet with a teacher on campus at 8:15.

Here is where my rant begins.

When it comes to the Tiger Transit bus system at Auburn, I am asked to do two things:

1.) To omit needless gasoline emissions into the environment by actually riding the Transit.
2.) To use the TransLoc Visualization System--a Web page that shows exactly where the transit is located so I know when to leave my apartment to catch the bus.

I ask the bus system at Auburn to do ONE thing:

Give me a ride to campus so I won't be late.

Well today I planned on riding the transit (a step up from walking 25 minutes to campus). I checked the TransLoc, and when the bus got mildly close I left my apartment to walked to the bus stop.

As I'm crossing the street I see the bus. Five feet away from the bus stop the driver came to an incomplete stop, looked me in the eye, and I knew: she wasn't going to stop for me. I immediately began frantically waving my hands in the air, and the driver, still looking at me, shakes her head at me. I threw up my hands as she zoomed past me, confused and angry.

Then I sat down under a tree and cried for a few seconds, got over myself, got back up again, and walked to campus. I'm not really sure why I cried. That part was weird. Bottom line--I was late to my appointment with the teacher.

So, Tiger Transit, I have one question:

Why am I paying tuition for a service that leaves its students stranded in the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment